Mitch Albom: For One More Day

Friday, December 14th, 2007

起初读这本书,觉得它没Mitch Albom之前写的俩本《Tuesdays With Morrie》和《The Five People You Meet in Heaven》出色。可是读到后来别有一番滋味。

整本书中,这么一段我最喜欢:

BECAUSE THERE WAS a ghost involved, you may call this a ghost stody. But what family isn’t a ghost story? Sharing tales of those we’ve lost is how we keep from really losing them.

《Tuesdays With Morrie》是讲一个人在生前所做的事,而《The Five People You Meet in Heaven》则是讲述一个人死后的世界。《For One More Day》讲的则是一个人在丧命边缘所发生的事情。

这本书是讲述一名棒球运动员因为家庭、工作与兴趣上不得志, 所以选择自杀。在他生命垂危的时候,他遇到了他的母亲,以及那些想见他母亲的人。以下节选几段我觉得满有意思的,与各位分享。

“You know something, Rose?” she suddenly said. “Charley never let me cut his hair. Can you believe that? He insisted on going to a barbershop.”

“Why, dear?”

“Oh, you know. They get to an age and it’s ‘Get away, Mom, get away.’”

“Children get embarrassed by their parents,” Rose said.

“Children get embarrassed by their parents,” my mother repeated.

其实我想很多人,包括我在内,都有这样子的经历。小时候我们曾经与父母那么近,甚至把他们当作偶像。可是长大后,却不喜欢他们出现在自己朋友的面前。

In college, I had a course in Latin, and one day the word “divorce” came up. I always figured it came from some root that meant “divide.” In trurh, it comes from “divertere,” which means “to divert.”

读过这段后,我不断地玩味其中的意思。Divide的意思就是划分成分开的部分,而divert的意思是转向其它完全不同的方向。这就像两个人在一起过,然后分手了,虽然嘴里说还是能做朋友,不过一定会感到不自然。这就是为什么很多人连朋友都做不成。很多东西发生了就不会再回去以前的样子。就如文中其中一句:“Going back to soemthing is harder than you think.”

DO YOU EVER think while something is happening, about what’s happening someplace else? My mother, after the divorce, would stand on the back porch at sunset, smoking a cigarette, and she’d say, “Charley, right now, as the sun is going down here, it’s coming up someplace else in the world. Australia or China or someplace. You can look it up in the encyclopedia.”

这么一段就是想表达说这世界上会发生任何事情。或许眼前你所看到的是太阳落山,可是地球的另一头却是日出。

感慨

Monday, December 5th, 2005

前几天刚刚看完Mitch Albom的tuesdays with Morrie。真的是一本很好看的书。简单的英文,简单的道理。虽然简单,可是又有几个人能办到呢?
当我得知到朋友过世的消息,刚好在听着这首歌——Jennifer Lopez的Do you know where you’re going to。

Do you know where you’re going to?
你知道你要去哪里吗?
Do you like the things that life is showing you
你喜欢生命呈现给你的东西吗?
Where are you going to?
你去哪里?
Do you know…?
你知道吗?

Do you get
你知道
What you’re hoping for
你在期盼什么吗?
When you look behind you
当你回头看时
There’s no open door
那里没有打开的门
What are you hoping for?
你在期盼什么?
Do you know…?
你知道吗?

Once we were standing still in time
当我们在时间里站住
Chasing the fantasies
追着那梦想
That filled our minds
填满我们的思绪
You knew how I loved you
你知道我怎么爱你的
But my spirit was free
但我的灵魂是自由的
Laughin’ at the questions
笑着那些难题
That you once asked of me
你曾经问过我的

Now looking back at all we’ve planned
现在回头看那些我们计划的东西
We let so many dreams
我们让那么多梦想
Just slip through our hands
从我们手中滑走
Why must we wait so long
为何我们需要等这么久
Before we’ll see
在我们看到之前
How sad the answers
答案可以很伤心
To those questions can be
给那些题目

你问我怕死吗?我可以告诉你我不怕。我只是会遗憾我还有很多事没做到。
也许像Mitch Albom在The Five People You Meet In Heaven写的:“Fairness does not govern life and death. If it did, no good person would ever die young.”

订阅无聊小站最新文章


 用feed阅读器订阅 或, 用email订阅:
输入你的email邮址:  
寻找文章 :